The Descendants of John Armstrong
Generation No. 1
JOHN ARMSTRONG was born 1798 in Adare, Co. Limerick, Ireland.. He married CATHERINE FITZGERALD daughter of James Fitzgerald and Catherine Vesey in 1825. She was born 1800, and died Abt. 1837 in Co. Limerick, Ireland.
Children of John and Catherine are:
- WYNDHAM ARMSTRONG, b. 1825, Adare, Co Limerick, Ireland.; d. Australia.
- JOHN ARMSTRONG, b. 11 January 1827.
- ANDREW JAMES ARMSTRONG, b. 3 January 1829.
- WILLIAM ARCHIBALD ARMSTRONG, b. 24 June 1830, Co. Limerick, Ireland..
- CHARLES ARMSTRONG, b. 17 December 1831; d. in Childhood..
- OCTAVIUS CHARLES ARMSTRONG, b. 27 November 1833, Adare, Co.Limerick, Ireland.; d. 17 January 1917, Brisbane..
- ROBERT ALLAN ARMSTRONG, b. 1834.
- HARRIETTE ARMSTRONG, b. 1836, Adare, Co. Limerick, Ireland.; d. 1925, Brisbane, Queensland; m. HENRY EDWARD KING, 1858, at St. Marys, Kangaroo Point, Brisbane.; b. 9 June 1832, Kilmallock, Mt. Coote, Co. Limerick, Ireland.; d. 5 February 1910, Brisbane, Queensland.
Henry King was Gold Commissioner at Gympie, Queensland. He was elected to Parliament in 1870 and was Speaker of the Legislative Assembly of Queensland from 1876 to 1883. (From the notes of Norman Garnet Armstrong.)
Generation No. 2
WILLIAM ARCHIBALD ARMSTRONG was born 24 June 1830 in Co. Limerick, Ireland.. He married MEDORA ELIZA BEIT 1859 in St. Lukes, Toowoomba, Queensland.. She was born in London.
Children of William and Medora are:
- WILLIAM DRAYTON ARMSTRONG, b. Abt. 1860.
- CATHERINE MEDORA ARMSTRONG, b. Abt. 1863, Queensland.; d. 5 August 1932.
- MARY ARMSTRONG, b. Abt. 1865, Toowoomba, Queensland.; d. 5 March 1919.
- UNNAMED ARMSTRONG, b. 1870.
- MAUD ARMSTRONG, b. 1871.
- UNNAMED ARMSTRONG, b. 1874.
- JEANETTE CAROLINE ARMSTRONG.
OCTAVIUS CHARLES ARMSTRONG was born 27 November 1833 in Adare, Co.Limerick, Ireland., and died 17 January 1917 in Brisbane.. He married JESSIE AUGUSTA FRANCIS 12 December 1865 at St. Pauls, Redfern, Sydney., daughter of Henry Francis and Mary Griffin. She was born 19 May 1842 in Sydney., and died 14 January 1917 in Brisbane..
Jessie was baptized by Rev. Robert Allwood, St. James Church, Sydney, 30 June 1842.
She married Octavius Armstrong in 1865 and went to live at the property, 'Salisbury Plains', north of Bowen, which he had established in partnership with Alfred Wilmington. Later they moved to 'Cotherstone' on Peak Downs, before Octavius joined the civil service as a Police Magistrate. < /br>
Children of Octavius and Jessie are:
- WYNDHAM FRANCIS ARMSTRONG
- HENRY ALFRED ARMSTRONG, b. 21 February 1868, Salisbury Plains, Bowen, Qld.; d. 11 February 1930, Brisbane.
- CATHARINE MARY ARMSTRONG, b. 7 February 1870, Cotherstone, Peak Downs, Qld.; d. 8 March 1934, Brisbane.
- WILLIAM GROSVENOR ARMSTRONG, b. 29 May 1871, Cotherstone, Peak Downs, Qld.; d. 1872.
- JESSIE AUGUSTA FRANCES ARMSTRONG, b. 29 October 1872, Straun Cottage, Spring Hill, Brisbane; d. 12 May 1965, Brisbane.
- ROBERT FITZGERALD ARMSTRONG, b. 1 May 1874, Mt Perry, Qld; d. 12 January 1876, Mt Perry, Qld.
- HARRIETTE OCTAVIA ARMSTRONG, b. 17 March 1877, Mt Perry, Qld; d. Unknown.
- CHARLES CHRISTOPHER ARMSTRONG, b. 19 March 1879, Mt Perry, Qld; d. Unknown; m. VENETIA BELLA SEYMOUR 1911; b. Abt. 1885.
- FRANCIS LEOFRIC ARMSTRONG, b. 25 October 1880, Mt Perry, Queensland.; d. 10 May 1915, Quinns Post, Gallipoli..
- HERBERT OCTAVIUS ARMSTRONG, b. 29 March 1883, Mt Perry, Qld; d. 3 May 1884, Mt Perry, Qld.
- NORMAN GARNET ARMSTRONG, b. 29 July 1885, Mt Perry, Qld; d. 26 November 1984, Leura, N.S.W.; m. DOROTHY LOWE, 1927, Port Moresby, Papua; b. 9 October 1899, Sydney; d. 25 August 1999, Sydney.
Norman Armstrong was sent with the Kennedy Regiment as 2nd Lieutenant in Garrison to Thursday Island on outbreak of war, as part of Australia's reaction to the German threat in the Pacific. Later joined the A.I.F. and left for Egypt as Lieut, 2nd Reinforcements, 25th Battalion. Transferred to 9th Battalion in France. Made Captain after Pozieres, and later, Major.
On his return to Australia he resumed his career with the Bank of New South Wales. In 1924 he began six years service with the bank in Papua. From 1927 he was a member of the Papuan Legislative Council for three years.
- ERIC EWEN ARMSTRONG, b. Abt. 1888.
Eric Armstrong served in the 27th Battalion, A.I.F., France. WWI.
Generation No. 3
CATHERINE MEDORA ARMSTRONG (called Kate) was born Abt. 1863 in Queensland., and died 5 August 1932. She married WALTER VANNECK 24 September 1877 in Queensland., son of Charles Vanneck and Louisa Arcedeckne. He was born 9 March 1849, and died 17 September 1931.
Children of Kate and Walter are:
- NESTA FRANCES VANNECK, b. 1878, Queensland.; d. 1955.
- HILDA ARCEDECKNE VANNECK, b. 1879, Queensland.; d. 1969.
- CATHERINE GLADYS VANNECK, b. 1882, Queensland.; d. 1 January 1962.
- JOSHUA WALTER HUNTINGFIELD VANNECK, b. 1886, Queensland.; d. 1947.
- RALPH WYNDHAM VANNECK, b. 1891.
MARY ARMSTRONG (called Polly) was born Abt. 1865 in Toowoomba, Queensland., and died 5 March 1919. She married WILLIAM ARCEDECKNE VANNECK 21 March 1882 in Queensland., son of Charles Vanneck and Louisa Arcedeckne. He was born 30 October 1845, and died 6 November 1912.
Children of Polly and William are:
- ANDREW NICHOLAS ARMSTRONG VANNECK, b. 22 July 1890; d. 20 February 1965.
- WILLIAM CHARLES ARCEDECKNE VANNECK, b. 3 January 1883, Gatton, Queensland.; d. 1969, Hove, Sussex..
- LOUISE MEDORA HERMIONE VANNECK, b. 11 February 1885, Toowoomba, Queensland.; d. 8 December 1974, Hill House, Wyckham Market, Suffolk..
- RUPERT CHALONER ANDREW VANNECK, b. 11 June 1889; d. 1889.
- ANNE MARY CHALONER VANNECK, b. 1892; d. 1984.
WYNDHAM FRANCIS ARMSTRONG was born 22 September 1866 in Salisbury Plains, Bowen, Qld.. He married MARGARET SARAH McDONALD.
Child of Wyndham and Margaret is:
- KATHLEEN ARMSTRONG, b. April 1899.
JESSIE AUGUSTA FRANCES ARMSTONG was born 29 October 1872 in Straun Cottage, Spring Hill, Brisbane, and died 12 May 1965 in Brisbane. She married THOMAS WEBB GREEN 8 Jan 1896 in Brisbane. He was born 1864, and died 25 September 1932 in Brisbane, Qld..
Children of Jessie and Thomas are:
- KATHERINE EDITH GREEN, b. 1896; d. 19 April 1919, Brisbane, Qld..
- ZOE GERTRUDE GREEN, b. Abt. 1898; d. 1972.
- JESSIE NOEL GREEN, b. 24 December 1900; d.
- WYNDHAM EDWARD GREEN, b. 15 February 1903; d. Unknown.
- JOAN FRANCES GREEN, b. 27 August 1906; d. 1953.
- THOMAS WEBB GREEN, b. 9 November 1914; d. Unknown.
FRANCIS LEOFRIC ARMSTRONG was born 25 October 1880 at Mt Perry, Queensland., and died 10 May 1915 at Quinns Post, Gallipoli.. He married ANNE MUNRO MACKAY Abt. 1914. She was born Abt. 1882.
Anzac Lieutenant Francis Leofric Armstrong, was Mentioned In Despatches, 15th Battalion. Landed at Gallipoli, afternoon, April 25th, 1915. Killed in action at Quinn's Post, Gallipoli, May 10th 1915.
Prior to the First World War, Frank Armstrong served in two units in the Boer War :
- Prince of Wales Light Horse
- 3rd New South Wales Imperial Bushmen
Child of Francis and Anne is:
- FRANCIS MACKAY ARMSTRONG, b. Abt. 1915.
Generation No. 4
WILLIAM CHARLES ARCEDECKNE VANNECK was born 3 January 1883 in Gatton, Queensland., and died 1969 in Hove, Sussex.. He married (1) MARGARET ELEANOR CROSBY 21 December 1912. She died 1 March 1943. He married (2) MURIEL MARY GEORGINA DUKE 24 May 1944. She died 13 May 1953.
Sir William Charles Arcedeckne Vanneck was 5th Baron Huntingfield of Heaveningham Hall.
He was Governor of Victoria 1934 - 1939. Governor General of Australia March 1938 - September 1939.
Children of William and Margaret are:
- SARA CAROLA VANNECK, b. 25 September 1913.
- GERALD CHARLES ARCEDECKNE VANNECK, b. 29 May 1915.
Sir Gerald Charles Archdeckne Vanneck was 6th Baron Huntingfield of Heveningham.
- ANN MARGARET THEODOSIA VANNECK, b. 20 May 1918.
- PETER BECKFORD RUTGERS VANNECK, b. 7 Jan 1922.
ZOE GERTRUDE GREEN was born Abt. 1898, and died 1972. She married Frank Herbert Barlow 8 Dec 1924. He was born Abt. 1896.
Children of Zoe and Frank are:
- EDITH ADELA BARLOW, b. 20 Mach 1932.
- FREDERICK THOMAS BARLOW, b. 17 Jun 1933.
- FRANK ALEXANDER BARLOW, b. 7 May 1936.
- KATHARINE FRANCES BARLOW, b. 4 February 1940; m. HENRY ALAN NIX,1961.
JOAN FRANCES GREEN was born 27 August 1906, and died 1953. She married LINDSAY BARR. He was born 1 October 1903.
Children of Joan and Barr are:
- PAUL SPIERS BARR, b. 17 May 1930; d. 7 December 1948.
- FRANCES MARGARET BARR, b. 2 February 1936; d. 7 December 2009, Brisbane; m. WALDE ERNEST BRETON, 1960; b. 27 November 1940.